Sunday, October 17, 2010

books I've been reading recently

"One day a young man hit pay dirt on Bull Hill and was offered a good price for his claim. He wrote Stratton for advice. Should he sell his claim or hang on to it as Stratton had done, hoping for millions in the end? Stratton replied:

"If you get a chance to sell your property for $100,000 do it. I one gave an option on the Independence and a thousand times I have wished that the holder had taken it up. Too much money is not good for any man. I have too much and it is not good for me. A hundred thousand dollars is as much money as the man of ordinary intelligence can take care of. Larger wealth has been the ruin of many a young man."

Winfield Scott Stratton, around the beginning of the 1900s
from The King of Cripple Creek: The Life and Times of Winfield Scott Stratton, First Millionaire from the Cripple Creek Gold Strike

No comments:

Post a Comment